Friday 12 July 2013

SUMMER QUINOA SALAD.

It has been hot lately.  I mean, really, really hot.  Humidity has taken over our lives, and the air conditioning is working on overtime.  And yet, I keep cooking.  Yes, it smells great, yes it's delicious, but it is also getting very steamy!  I finally decided to take a break from my madness, and instead of cooking I threw a bunch of ingredients into a bowl.  I'm calling it Summer Quinoa Salad and though simple to make, this deliciously cool dish is anything but plain.  I've eaten it for three days straight, because I just can't get enough of the crunch from the nuts and the slaw, the variety of fresh vegetables, and the salty, tangy, peanutty flavour of the dressing.

Quinoa Salad


Summer Quinoa Salad
Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen's Crunchy Cashew Thai Quinoa Salad Recipe

Salad:
3 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup broccoli slaw (buy it in ready to go bags from the produce section)
1 cup carrot slaw
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 green pepper, diced
2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained
1/2 cup cashews, roughly chopped
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl.

Dressing:
1/4 peanut butter (I used my homemade peanut butter, yum!)
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
3 tablespoons gluten free tamari sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil

Place peanut butter and honey in a small bowl and warm in the microwave until the consistency is smooth and easy to stir, about 30 seconds.  Add remaining dressing ingredients and whisk together with a fork until completely combined.  Add to salad mixture and toss until thoroughly covered.

So easy to make, vegetarian and gluten free, this Summer Quinoa Salad is filling, packed with flavour, and full of good nutrition.  Works perfectly as a cool summer lunch, a quick dinner, or as a side to your favourite barbecued chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment