Thursday 18 July 2013

CHEATER'S ICE CREAM.

I am not even going to mention the heat.  I'm not even going to tell you how I nearly keeled over on my bike in the sun the other day, how my back is bright pink at the top, how our air conditioning has been on the fritz the last few days.  I'm not going to say anything about it.  What I will say is, who doesn't love ice cream?!


Cold, creamy, smooth, melty ice cream.  It's perfect for these (not going to say it) summer days.  It's tempting to eat it every day.  That's why I can't keep it in my freezer.  Which is why I'm always suggesting a little stroll down the road to Ed's Ice Cream shop.  Which is how I still end up eating it wayyy to often.

Then the day came where I was too lazy to stroll down the street to the ice cream shop.  And so I made Cheater's Ice Cream. This ice cream requires no special equipment and no endless stirring.  It's just whip, mix, freeze, and eat.  And it works because it has a high sugar content.  That's my kind of ice cream.

For a vanilla ice cream, just take a 500 ml container (2 cups) of whipping cream, and whip it in a large bowl.  In a small bowl mix one can of sweetened condensed milk (such as Eagle Brand) and 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract.  Fold that into the whipped cream.

Then, if you aren't the most boring person in the world, add in some extra treats!  I folded in about a cup of roughly chopped extra dark chocolate.  I'm only semi-boring.  A more adventurous person might add nuts, or coconut flakes, or berries, or jam, or coffee, or cinnamon, or possibly everything all at once.  Well, maybe not that.  But you get the idea.  If you want a chocolate base, then just mix a half cup of chocolate syrup into the condensed milk before mixing everything together.  This is your ice cream, make it your way.


Pour your unfrozen ice cream into a dish or container.  Freeze for a few hours (minimum 5-6) and then enjoy.


If you're going to be serving the ice cream then you can use a loaf pan and just cut slices out, or flip the whole block out onto a serving plate before slicing.  Or just scoop it out the good ol' fashioned way.  As I said, who doesn't love ice cream?

No comments:

Post a Comment