Saturday 27 July 2013

ICED TEA CUBES. YOUR SHORTCUT TO ICED TEA LATTES.

Iced Tea

This is so ingenious, I can't believe I never thought of it.  The internet really is magnificent.  Especially when it comes to making your own iced tea lattes.  Who doesn't love getting a fancy cold drink at Starbucks?  I do, that's who.  But it's always so hard to choose, and I have to implement visitation restrictions or I could just drift off in a caffeine filled cloud every week.  But in my own home, there are no tea restrictions whatsoever.

So here's the scoop.  Brew your favourite kind of black tea, adding sweetener as you normally would, and then pour it into ice cube trays and freeze.  From that point forward, whenever you are looking for a cool drink, just pop out a few iced tea cubes, and pour cold milk over them in a glass.  Sip away and enjoy your very own iced tea latte.  Easy right?

Iced Tea Latte

I've been drinking these all week.  It's a great after lunch treat when you just need that elusive "something else".  Or in the morning.  Or later in the afternoon.  Or if you use decaf tea, just about any time you darn please.

I used my favourite tea, from David's Tea.  It's called "Stormy Night" and it's a blend of black tea with chocolate, cinnamon, coconut, and vanilla......basically all my bestest things in one container.  I made a full pot, and then added a few squeezes of agave syrup and mixed it together.  Then I let it cool down for a couple of hours before I attempted to pour it into the ice cube trays.  I'm clumsy.  I will spill things.  I would rather not have it be hot tea.

I'm also a huge fan of giant cube ice cube trays (for no good reason, other than I think they are awesome).  That's why my iced tea cubes are rather enormous.  But don't worry, regular trays work just as well.  Just don't mistake these cubes when you're looking for regular ice.  And maybe inform family members in advance so that they don't think you are freezing muddy water.

Iced Tea Latte

The iced tead will melt slowly as you sip.  It's yummy and it seems a bit special somehow.  Like I'm getting a treat.  I think this would work well with any kind of black tea.  Chai tea would be very good, as would a classic Earl Grey.  Next round I'm going to use "Creamy Earl Grey" from David's Tea which has lovely notes of vanilla mixed in.  Perfect for an afternoon on the balcony/deck/backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment