Tuesday 11 June 2013

CRACKERS FOR CRACKERS. (GLUTEN-FREE).

I'm crazy about crackers.  Before going gluten free, I always had a wide arrangement of options in my cupboard.  Triscuits, Wheat Thins, herb crackers, artisan crackers, and more.  Now I only have rice crackers.  I really like rice crackers.  But I miss my previous cracker variety too.

Enter, homemade gluten free crackers!  I recently bought a new gluten free cookbook and these crackers were the first thing I wanted to make.  Made with almond flour, and offering a few recipe variations, I couldn't wait to try them out.  I decided to start with the Herb Cracker recipe, as it promised a wonderful smell while baking.

Homemade Crackers

Extremely easy to put together, this recipe literally involved mixing with a spoon.  The toughest part here, was stretching my patience long enough to pick enough leaves from the rosemary and thyme sprigs (one of my most disliked things in the kitchen!).  But I had lots of time, and the smell of the herbs was heavenly.

Cracker Recipe

The dough was easy to roll out, with no complications like cracking or breaking.  The squares are cut before baking, so everything is already done by the time you take them out of the oven.

Cracker Recipe

After 15 minutes in the oven, the were lightly golden, with a nice solid crunch to them.  The recipe asks for 30 minutes to cool before serving, but they smelled so delicious, I could only wait about 5.

Cracker Recipe

The result is amazing.  Crisp but solid, these crackers have the perfect herb flavour, maximized by just the right amount of sea salt.  I was immediately elated at the success of the recipe, and also very disappointed that I halved the recipe.

Crackers

Originally intended for a homemade avocado dip that I had in my fridge, these crackers were so delicious that I actually ended up just eating them alone.  I think I'll be making more of these soon...

The cookbook I used is The Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam.  She has lot's of similar recipes on her website elanaspantry.com.  You can find a very similar cracker recipe here.  Just use thyme to replace half the rosemary in the recipe to make the same one I featured in this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment