Friday 17 May 2013

HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE SYRUP.

Chocolate Syrup

In an ongoing effort to eat less preservatives, chemicals, and generally any ingredients that I can't pronounce, I suddenly decided to tackle the giant brown squeeze bottle that lives permanently on the bottom shelf of our fridge door.  Even the sound it makes when squeezed had started to give me the chills!

A quick search told me that not only was chocolate syrup amazingly easy to make, but I also had all the ingredients already in my cupboards.  How had I never discovered this before?!

As it often happens with homemade food, this recipe also means better tasting results and savings in your penny jar.  A simple combination of cocoa powder, sugar, water, and vanilla, and ten minutes of time at the stove, yields a thick, rich, luscious syrup, ready for all of your chocolate needs.  Much better than any store bought product, it tastes less of sugar and more of deep, dark chocolate flavour.

Mixed with milk it creates a satisfying chocolate drink, but don't stop there!  I imagine this syrup drizzled over vanilla ice cream, added to a sweet smoothie, topped over a homemade granola bar, or simply enjoyed with fresh fruit.  Yummmmmmm.

Definitely an improvement.  It will keep for at least a month in the fridge, and I also froze the second half to enjoy when I run out.  You can find two good recipes on the these blogs:

http://www.kitchentreaty.com/homemade-chocolate-syrup/
http://wholesomemommy.com/homemade-chocolate-syrup-sooo-good/

No comments:

Post a Comment