Thursday 23 May 2013

GREEN SMOOTHIES. TASTIER THAN YOU THINK.

Smoothies

Blending your veggies has been gaining popularity over the last few years, but I know many people are still a little, well, grossed out by the idea!  I admit drinking pureed greens does sounds strange, but in fact when you add them to your regular tasty smoothie they add a wonderful full bodied flavour that is nothing like salad.  Best of all, it means you've already got a serving of dark green veg covered at breakfast, with no preparation needed.

Smoothies

Kale or spinach are my favorite additions.  I find kale adds a rich, slightly sweet flavour to the drink, whereas spinach blends in completely, only changing the colour of your smoothie.  If you're unsure about trying this out, just start with a small handful of spinach, and work up towards heartier greens.

Smoothies

I like things in the morning to be quick and easy.  I don't have much brain power at that time, to be honest!  The most I can manage is digging around in my fridge and freezer for anything that looks yummy, dumping it into my Bullet, and blending.  Today I used about a cup of frozen strawberries, a few big spoonfuls of yogurt, and a large handful of kale.  I also added water for easy blending, but you can use milk or juice if you have that on hand to add even more flavour.  If you have any fresh or frozen bananas, adding one in adds a lovely sweet creaminess to a green smoothie.

If you are looking for a more detailed recipe before venturing into green territory, there are lots out there.  Here are just a few yummy looking ones that I found.

For an simple starter recipe that will taste more of sweet fruit then greens, try the Yummy Mummy Kitchen version.

If you like tropical tastes, try out Real Simple's recipe.

If you're looking to get adventurous with different ingredients and flavours, check this list of 30 Delicious Green Smoothie Recipes.

Or just find ingredients that you like, and create your own!  Once you try it, you'll be hooked :)

No comments:

Post a Comment