Friday 19 April 2013

WILL THE REAL GRANOLA BARS PLEASE STAND UP.

Granola Bars

Today, I'm going to let you in on a little secret - packaged granola bars are not good for you.  Yes, I know, everyone acts like they are.  We talk about fibre and whole grains and nuts with only a touch of honey or chocolate, but they are just not healthy.  Don't get me wrong, I am all for chocolate and honey.  But not when it comes with an ingredient list as long as my middle finger, a whole lot of preservatives, AND the pretense of being part of a healthy diet.  If you're tempted to eat one of these small, unsatisfying, chemical filled bars, I think you should just go for a candy bar instead!  

On the other hand, you could make your own healthy, filling, completely personalized granola bars.  You could eat these delicious and nutritious bites proudly, for all the world to see, knowing that you are filling your body with real, whole ingredients, that will actually give you the energy to tackle your day.  Now who's with me!!

In all seriousness, I can't understand why more people don't do this.  Maybe you think it will take up all kinds of time?  It doesn't.  Maybe you think they won't be as convenient to grab and go?  Trust me, they are.  Maybe you think they won't be delicious?  Well, you can actually put whatever you want in your bars, and make them as taste however you like.  Are you convinced yet?

If you are interested (which you should be), here's what I do.  I make a basic oatmeal bar recipe, which includes goodies for your body like oats, chia seeds and flax, and then I flavour it however I feel like for that batch.  For me, a good combination of add ins is often coconut flakes and dark chocolate chips, or if I'm feeling really healthy I'll go for dried cranberries and apricots.  But you can add in anything you like, and experimenting with different options each time is the best part.

Granola Bars

After a quick bake in the oven, just let these babies cool down before you dig in.  You can store them in an airtight container or a plastic bag.  If you're planning on packing them in lunches or grabbing them on the go, just put one or two each in a small baggie.  So then all you have to do is grab a bar and run out the door!

Just as easy as the store bought ones, but so much better for you.  If you don't think you'll eat them all in a week, don't worry because I've got a solution for that too.  Just pop them in the freezer, and they will keep for a few months.  You can take out a stash every few days, or else just grab one a few hours in advance.  They thaw quickly, and they don't lose any flavour, so either way you're going to be covered.  And if you can't wait for thawing, my boyfriend often pops them in the microwave for a few seconds so they become nice and toasty warm.

Granola Bars

These are super easy, extremely tasty, and best of all they are really really good for your body.  I don't know what else I can say, except to just try them!  I'm always very shocked, that with everything that we know about nutrition and the effect it has on our health, how we let the most obvious things slip by us every day.  I know that everyone relies on granola bars in their busy, stressful, jam packed days.  Just make the ones you rely on, the right ones.

Granola Bars



Here's the basic recipe that I use from Oh She Glows.  I like this one because its gluten free, as long as you use gluten free oats.

There are a ton of different other variations and options out there as well.  Here are a few other suggestions, although I haven't tried all of them, they sure do look yummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment