Sunday 14 April 2013

"AVGOLEMONO" IS TRENDING ON BUZZFEED

Okay, tonight my bestest roomie (aka boyfriend whom I love) and I attempted to make and eat "Avgolemono". I distinguish between those two parts of 'make' and 'eat' because normally we are excellent at the 'eating' part, and well, we learn as we go with the 'making' part. But tonight was a new kind of night!

Avgolemono, is a soupy, stewy, Greek dish that is thick, creamy, and very lemony. It's like chicken soup, with a twist. Matt (the aforementioned boyfriend and roomie) sent me a link from Buzzfeed food last week describing the dish and recipe (http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnmahoney/how-to-make-avgolemono-winter-spring-transition-stew). The photos looked amazing and we were both excited to try it out on the weekend. It's often a challenge for us to decide what will actually come to life on our plates, and what will be left to drool over another day. This dish just looked so new and intriguing that it was the clear winner for this weekend.

I've been really into soups this winter. A combination of trying to eat healthy, moving to a gluten free diet, and really just needing a bit of extra comfort in my life. Avgolemono, spoke to me. It said, 'I'm like a soup, but sooo much better because I'm also like a comforting, rich, creamy stew'. And the pictures had bacon sprinkled on the top. I mean, come on. So, I was not deterred by a slightly longer cooking process than my normal winter soup. This one had spoken to me! It had to be amazing. Even if it meant pulling meat off of a chicken carcass. But, if we are being honest, I never touched the chicken carcass. I did however, skim fat off the top of the soup, beat eggs into foamy peaks, juice lemons, and slowly mix things together. Minus the styling effects on the Buzzfeed article, our dish looked just like it was supposed to. Success right?

About three hours after we started, we scooped our foamy, pale yellow, strongly peppered soup into our bowls and sat down excitedly to slurp it up, which watching an episode of 'No Reservations' with Anthony Bourdain. And it was a bit strange. Way stranger than the Czech cuisine that Anthony was sampling on the screen in front of us. It looks like a milky, creamy base, but without any milk or cream. The base is formed from the whipped eggs, for texture, and flavoured strongly by the juice of three lemons. Since the meat of the dish is chicken and rice, it had to be that eggy, lemony broth that threw me off. I love eggs and I love lemons, but I'm not sure I love slurping up warm, eggy, lemon broth. I didn't hate it. But after a few bites I pushed it away thinking that I was starting to feel a bit, well icky.

I think I'm still in shock. I was so sure I would love it. And there isn't a whole lot of food that I won't eat happily. Actually, I'm usually upset about all the food in the world that I don't get to eat. Who am I to push away a bowl of soup! I'm going to pour myself another bowl for lunch tomorrow and try again. Maybe I just had an off day. Yup, I'm stubborn like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment