Friday 25 October 2013

THE GOOP'S GLUTEN FREE PASTA BIBLE.

At the beginning of the month, Gwyneth Paltrow's blog, "The Goop", posted about gluten free pasta, amongst other things including how to extend your summer tan.  I was more interested in the pasta.  GP's point was that gluten free pasta can be a bit more difficult to cook with than typical wheat pasta, but that doesn't mean that those who are eating or cooking gluten free should have to suffer.  The Goop offered a quick rundown of your choices and how to maximize texture and flavour when cooking pasta gluten free.

The article is based on the idea of pairing certain types of pastas with certain types of sauces, like cheese, tomato, or herb.  They also tested a few recipes out to give the readers ones to try from each category, including quinoa pasta, brown rice pasta, and corn pasta.  The learning?  Quinoa pasta should be paired with a few light and flavourful ingredients, such as The Goop's fried rosemary and artichokes (holy yum sounding).  Brown rice pasta works well with a tomato sauce to completely coat the noodles and strong flavours like olives and capers that stand out.  Jumbo corn shells on the other hand are recommended to serve up a cheesy baked dish with a few sun dried tomatoes thrown in.

I personally have only cooked with brown rice pasta since going gluten free.  I avoid corn pasta, since I figure the last thing anyone needs in their diet is more corn.  I would love to start making quinoa pasta, but I can't find it anywhere.  Well, that's not exactly true.  They do carry it at my local cheese shop but it's almost ten bucks for a small two person serving package.  I just can't do it.  The hunt continues.

So, I don't know that I would stick to The Goop's GF pasta rules all the time, but hey it's nice to know that people are trying right?  And the more information and testing on GF foods, the better.

Check it out by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment